The Conrad brand is a luxury brand of the Hilton Hotels chain. For Maldives, it would compare against the JW Marriott.
Unfortunately for Canadian Residents, there is no way to earn Hilton HHonor Reward Points by signing up for Canadian credit cards. Fortunately, American Express USA and American Express Canada have a strong relationship between the two organizations that allow Canadian Residents to use their Canadian credit history to apply and receive cards through USA counterparts. The only requirement is that you must have a USA address, this could easily be a friend or a family member that lives down south.
In this guide, we focus on leveraging American Express USA to provide an alternative stay option in Maldives. It’s important to note that, unlike in Canada, American Express USA has a very strict policy on earning one bonus per cardmember once in your lifetime. So, when applying for American Express USA credit cards, you must have your travel goals clearly defined to ensure your earning is aligned with your redemption goals.
As a reminder, this is our complete travel guide to Maldives;
- The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort (Marriott)
- JW Marriott Maldives Resort & Spa (Marriott)
- W Maldives (Marriott)
- Sheraton Maldives (Marriott)
- Le Meridien Maldives (Marriott)
- Ritz Carlton Maldives (Marriott)
- Which Marriott Hotel?
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island (Hilton)
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi (Hilton)
- SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton (Hilton)
- Which Hilton Hotel?
- Marriott vs Hilton in Maldives
- Air Canada (Aeroplan) and their partners to Maldives from Canada & USA
- Alaska Airlines and their partners to Maldives from Canada & USA
- Cathay Pacific and their partners to Maldives from Canada & USA
- British Airways and their partners to Maldives from Canada & USA
Unfortunately, every Hilton hotel claims to have a variable point redemption policy, which technically allows the point requirements to change depending on the market pricing of the hotel. This creates the possibility of hotels such as the Conrad, which consistently retail for over US$1,500 per night to be so expensive with points, that it eventually becomes a worthless endeavor. Fortunately, the community has realized that the most expensive award redemption through Hilton is 120,000 points per night. The only hotel that falls in that category is the Waldorf Astoria Maldives.The Conrad typically has a maximum of 95,000 points per night for the base room.
- Hilton has a 5th night free offer across the entire portfolio when using your points if you hold elite status. Most Hilton American Express credit cards provide the elite status as a benefit, so we will assume you will be eligible for the 5th night free award.
- Points upgrade are very expensive through Hilton, making them worthless.
- You can combine points between two accounts very easily without any charge.
Conrad Maldives has two base room categories; Water Villa or Beach Villa. Both retail at 95,000 points per night.
Credit Card Rewards
Earning up to 380,000 points to go on this dream vacation is possible if you are two working individuals.
There are two options that will enable you to make this redemption incredibly accessible:
- Hilton Honors Card (American Express USA)
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card (American Express USA)
With the strategy I will outline below, a couple stand to earn at least 418,000 Hilton Honor points by applying for the two cards for each person. That is enough for 5 nights at one of the most luxurious resorts on the island
American Express (USA)
Credit Card: Hilton Honors Card
- 75,000 Hilton Honor points after spending US$1,000 in the first 3 months
- At least 3,000 Hilton Honor points for spending US$1,000 in the first 3 months
Together you will earn 78,000 Hilton Honor points.
No annual fee
Credit Card: Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card
- 125,000 Hilton Honor points after spending US$2,000 in the first 3 months
- At least 6,000 Hilton Honor points for spending US$2,000 in the first 3 months
Together you will earn 131,000 Hilton Honor points.
US$95 that is not waived in the first year.
How Many Points Earned
With the strategy outlined above, you will earn the following points:
- 156,000 Hilton Honor points across two individuals through the Hilton Honors card
- 262,000 Hilton Honor points across two individuals through the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card.
Your total cost will be between US$190 with a minimum spend of US$3,000
This will give you more than the 380,000 points required for 5 nights at the Conrad Maldives.
What Are My Total Savings?
The Waldorf Astoria Maldives can go up to US$1,500 per night for a base room. For 5 nights that could be up to US$7,500. Getting a vacation that expensive results in a discount in excess of 95%!
Getting to Conrad Maldives
Maldives is one of the few places in the world where you cannot land at a major international airport and just Uber it to the hotel. The only way to get here is by seaplane.
US$600++ per person.
Conrad Maldives is one of the best redemptions in the Hilton program, however, the biggest complexity is obtaining US based American Express credit cards.
If you have any questions, feel free to add a comment below.